Article by Dan Goodwin(Courtesy of howtodothings.com)
Each of us who is creative is unique and has his own distinct creative voice. There are, however, common specific elements that we can all build into our creative lives to help us be more creative, more often.
Here are 10 top creativity-boosting techniques you can start using right away:
- Gather your ideas as they happen. One of the reasons it often feels like you have no good ideas is not because they don’t form in your mind in the first place, but because you don’t capture them when they do. Use a Creative Ideas Journal to write or sketch down your ideas as they occur, and keep it with you to add to, wherever you go.
- Create little and often. Having an underlying “fitness level” is essential to being in great shape to create anything you want to create. Build and tone your creativity muscles by creating for a minimum chunk of time each and every day.
- Celebrate your successes. Because you’re with yourself 24 hours a day, it can be hard to see your progress or successes. Take the time to look back over that last 3-6 months and realize just how much you’ve created that you’ve forgotten about or taken for granted. You’re more creative than you realize!
- Focus your creativity. Having too many projects on the go at once is a sure way to overwhelm yourself and kill your creativity. You’ll never have time to create everything you ever want, so choose one project that’s important to you right now and create with your full passion and focus.
- Creative collaboration. Creating with another person or group of people can often produce far more than the sum of its parts. Team up with a creative colleague and work on a joint project. These days you don’t even have to be in the same country as each other to exchange creative ideas and art!
- Explore new sources of stimulation. Keeping your creativity inspired and energized is vital. If you only ever go to the exact same places, your inspiration will quickly run dry. Visit a variety of new places that will give your creativity plenty to think about. Don’t forget to capture your ideas while you’re there!
- Adopt an attitude of experimenting and play. Letting your creativity run free like a 5-year-old in a playground is a key factor in reaching your true potential. When you keep your creativity too safe and controlled, you won’t ever progress or create what you’re truly capable of. See creativity as play, not work, and notice the difference.
- Listen to what you need to create. When we get hung up on what we feel we “should” be creating, it causes resentment and frustration and doesn’t help anyone. Instead, listen to your deeper passions and desires. What is it you really NEED to create right now?
- Join a group or community. Creating can be a lonely occupation. These days though, it’s easier than ever to find the kind of support and community that will keep you encouraged and motivated to create the best you’re capable of. Explore creative communities both locally and online and find the ones that work best and feel right for you.
- Build positive beliefs. If deep down you don’t believe you’re creative and you’ll always struggle to create, then guess what? Yes, you WILL always struggle to create. Weed out those negative beliefs that keep your creativity under lock and key, and replace them with empowering positive beliefs instead.
Which one of these 10 ways to be more creative will you choose to get started on today?
“Look at all these Rumours!”
Bio and Pics(Courtesy of myspace.com/therealclubnouveau):
“Club Nouveau”, under the direction of musical masterminds “JAY KING” and “VALERIE WATSON”, is perhaps one of the most distinctive and original groups to influence the contemporary music scene. Since their formation in 1986, the group has sold over (10) ten million records, toured worldwide, charted 11 Billboard hit singles and garnered numerous awards & prestigious nominations.
It was King who created a new chapter in musical history when he independently produced, pressed, marketed and promoted the Platinum selling smash “Rumors” by the “Timex Social Club” (on his own “Jay Records”). “Rumors” turned into the BIGGEST selling 12″ inch single in history. The “Timex Social Club” ended up parting ways, but King remained undaunted. He went on to put together a collection of talented local musicians and formed his own band.
Singer/songwriter/arranger, “Valerie Watson” and producer/singer/songwriter and entrepreneur, “Jay King” formed the group “Club Nouveau”. Their debut album, “Life, Love & Pain”, was a Certified Phenomenon. Beginning with the single “Jealousy”, which raced onto the “Top Ten Charts” in ten short weeks. It was then followed by “Situation No. 9”, which shot to the Top Five in even less time. Lighting then struck a third time when the young ensemble recorded their updated version of the “Bill Withers” classic “Lean On Me”.
“Club Nouveau” found themselves with the hottest Pop/R&B/Dance crossover hit of that year! “Lean On Me” not only dominated the charts at No. 1 for five consecutive weeks, It also was named “Song Of The Year” at the 1987 “Grammy Awards”. In addition, “Club Nouveau” was nominated in the “Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo Or Group” category and landed a pair of “American Music Award” nominations and two “NARM” nomination’s for the multi-platinum album project, “Life, Love & Pain”. “BAM” Magazine named “Jay King” as one of the “100 Most Influential People” in the music business and he was one of the “Top Black Single Publishers” honored by Billboard that year.
The fourth single from “Life, Love & Pain” was the Drum Driven Funk track “Why You Treat Me So Bad” which charted at No. 2 on Billboard. This was 4 of 4 for the “Club”. Four singles, Four Top Ten Hits, exposing yet another Facet of “Club Nouveau”. Considering the fact that “Club Nouveau” was in the infancy of their careers, It becomes quite apparent as to the “Legacy” that was quickly evolving.
Not one to rest on laurels however, the group went on to release a second album titled “Listen To The Message”. It revealed music with a more social-political theme compared to thier Debut Lp. “Listen To The Message” spawned the singles “It’s A Cold Cold World” (which went to No. 25 on the R&B charts) the single “Envious” (which landed at No. 76) and “For The Love Of Francis” a “Club Nouveau” fan favorite.
Fans were pleasantly surprised as the press made comparisons to the likes of “Tracy Chapman” and “Terence Trent D’Arby”. “Club Nouveau” then toured Worldwide and sold out Venue’s everywhere. After extensive touring, “Club Nouveau” returned to the States to record their third album on the “Warner Bros. Record” label titled “Under A Nouveau Groove”. The track “No Friend Of Mine” went to chart at No. 12 on the R&B charts and featured a guest appearance from the “Boo-Ya Tribe”.
The legacy continued with the release of “A New Beginning”, which saw the remake of “Oh Happy Day” go to No. 40 on the R&B charts. The second single was the awe-inspiring ballad “When Will You Come Back To Me”. A HOT track & video that Jay & Valerie sing co-lead on. Other heart-pounding tracks such as “Mary”, “Fool For Your Love”and “Watch Your Step” are also Fan Favorites (although the tracks were never officially released as singles).
The album “Everything Is Black”, spawned the hit single “Let It Go” which charted at No. 101 on Billboard. Both “New” & “Everything” was released on the group’s own “JVK Records” imprint. “Club Nouveau” is not just a group”, expresse’s “Jay King”. “Our music marks an era and still boasts a one-on one, very intimate relationship with the hearts of millions”. “Club Nouveau” is an Energy Field that just keeps evolving. “Passion, Depth, and Warmth….” The music of “Club Nouveau” reigns on…….
This has to be one of the funniest Shows to ever be released… Russell Simmons “Def Comedy Jam”! When this show hit the scene, it caused a frenzy. I think it actually brought some unique black comics to the for front. Picking up where Robert Townsand left off with “Partners in Crime”. I didn’t even have cable around the time it came out so my homie Brian would tape the joint and I would later go over to watch. Throwing up my guts every time. HAAAAAAA! Here’s a little(real Brief) info Courtesy of Tvrage.com. Enjoy
Def Comedy Jam was a HBO television series produced by hip-hop entrepreneur Russell Simmons. The series had it’s original run from 1992 to 1997. The show returned to the HBO lineup in 2006. Def Comedy Jam helped to launch the careers of several African-American stand-up comedians.
This right here has to be one of the best episodes. CLASSIC!!
This is a joint my homie Greese has been putting together since 2008. He is still going strong and more people are getting involved. Peep!